Thursday, February 14, 2008

156 days, 155 to go...

Anyone ever noticed that the initials of Valentine's Day spell VD? I think that's a hint.

It seems like everyone and their mother is paired up at the minute - and it makes it particularly nauseating because it's Valentine's Day today.

Not that I'm against Valentine's Day - who am I kidding of course I'm against Valentine's Day. But it's not because I'm a "bitter single" I just don't get the point.

If you care about someone then you shouldn't need a cheesy Hallmark holiday to tell someone how you feel. To be fair the only people who actually like February 14 are Cadbury's and the card companies.

Bored by relentless radio DJs playing soppy tunes and clips from Rom Coms I decided to do some research into the cause of my anger today and find out exactly who this St Valentine guy actually was - and it's not that romantic.

It's weird, all these crazy people celebrate this day and no one really knows who he was.

There were many conflicting reports - one says he was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. Emperor Claudius II outlawed marriage for young men because he thought single men made better soldiers, so being a rebel Valentine performed marriages for young lovers in secret. When he was caught Claudius killed him.

It's actually more heroic than romantic, don't you think?

Another story says he actually sent the first Valentine's card to himself! Seriously, come on.
Well apparently he was in prison at the time and in love with the jailer's daughter, of course he was. He wrote her a card, signed From Your Valentine......resisting the urge to vomit.....

Maybe I'm just too jaded but these stories end in tragedy and death, like VD is this a hint? For me and my quest?

Maybe I'm not meant to find a Plus 1 because it'll send shock waves to the Earth's core, leaving the planet facing certain destruction....OK I've been watching too much Heroes and Smallville.
But on the Plus 1 front there's more meddling.

I'm not adverse to kind advice but when I'm told certain factions are planning a series of blind dates to help me along I am allowed to descend into paranoia and spine-tingling fear.

Yes Diamond is hatching a plan with her pal I.T. God to fix me up on a date with a guy she described as a "geek" - that's a direct quote.

When I pried further she said he really liked American TV (I'm a HUGE American TV fan), but that doesn't reek of geek. She then replied that he is definitely within the realm of Geekdom.

But she was quick to add that he has in fact had a girlfriend - I think Diamond thought she had conjured an image from Revenge of the Nerds.

So the quips and innuendo continue until this poor guy is sprung on me. To be honest it's not a bad idea but I think there's safety in numbers - hint to Diamond - a group outing might be a little better than pretending to meet me in town not showing up but sending Mr Mystery Geek Man instead.

And I think a questionnaire would be helpful too. I'll send you my questions.

For now I'm still flying solo, Potentials are few and far between...maybe I should get another GBFF back-up...safety in numbers right?

So here's the state of play...

POTENTIAL PLUS 1'S - 4

GAY BACK-UPS - 2

WISH LIST POTENTIALS - Wentworth Miller (he'll always be a potential to me), talking of geeks, hot geek Matthew Gray Gubler aka Dr Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds, and of course the lovely Greg Sanders from CSI played by Eric Szmanda

STUPID SUGGESTIONS FROM PEOPLE WHO JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ME - 10

NUMBER OF EXCUSES FOR NO PLUS 1'S - 3

Excuse number 1 - I'm on a blind date but I don't know which guest is him!

Excuse number 2 - He's been called to NASA to help with one of the rockets. What can you do? When Houston has a problem, you gotta go.

Excuse number 3 - He had to go after the ceremony. He's a genius and has just had a major scientific breakthrough that's going to change the world as we know it. So no he's not here but I've saved him some cake.

NUMBER OF RANTS AND/OR PANIC ATTACKS - 8 including this blog!

Get the latest update on the blind date situation next week....

Love Nicole x

PS I heard a really great quote this week. It's from my friend who lives in Canada, let's call her Charlotte (she reminds me of Charlotte York from Sex and the City because she's always so positive no matter what some stupid bloke has done, she's the ying to my yang). She told me - "When I meet a man I ask myself, 'Is this the man I want my children to spend their weekends with?'" (Rita Rudner).
Not so positive today Charlotte :)

No comments: